Monday, July 30, 2012

Exploring Virginia

I have to say that the DC area is pretty fun, but that doesn't mean I don't miss Utah. :) There is so much to do and we tried to do as much as we could with my parents while they were out here. We visited the Air and Space overflow museum (which is only a few miles away from us) and got to see the Space Shuttle Discovery. 



 We visited the Manassas/Bull Run Civil War Battlefields, which are also just down the street from us. We started out by watching a 45 minute movie that all of the kids actually sat through. They really learned a lot and I am impressed what they remember about the first Battle of Manassas. Did you know that people from the North and South came out to watch the battle thinking that it was more of a sport and that the war would only last that one battle? You should ask the kids what else they learned if you get a chance.



We have been swimming in our community pool several times. It is nice because there is a huge toddler pool that Lucas can play in.
We went to IKEA (45 minutes away) and then to Mt. Vernon. It was raining, but only a misty rain. It felt really nice and was a break from the heat and humidity oh and the mosquitoes. I love Mt. Vernon!! It was a self-sufficient community and right on the water. I guess I forgot to take a picture of his house, but I got some of what the view looks like from the back porch. You can only take pictures of the front and not inside anyways. The picture of the small house was what slave houses looked like.





My parents actually went to several other places, but I didn't think my kids would do to well with all of the heat and walking. We have a long list of place to visit and things to do. You know you want to come visit and go exploring with us. :)

No comments: